Thursday, October 28, 2010

Samhain 2010

Hello again,

I miss you guys. I see most of you on Facebook but I do miss blogging and reading all your blogs.

You know I've been thinking about all the witchy terms out there. I had always considered myself to be Wiccan. I follow the Rede and it's a less scary term when you're talking to non witches. But you know, aside from Samhain and the occasional Beltane, I don't really celebrate the Sabbats. And I stopped pressuring myself to feel guilty about that.

I guess because I was raised by a half-assed Catholic and an atheist, holidays other than Christmas or Thanksgiving weren't really paid any mind. Except I think Easter has something to do with new shoes...

Anyway, am I still a Wiccan? What is a Wiccan? Whatever.

This was not supposed to be what I'm blogging about.

My husband lost both of his parents within the last 6 or 7 years. He's been missing them a lot lately. We keep seeing movies with people saying goodbye to loved ones in a coma, which is how he said goodbye to his mother and it's been making him feel sad.

So being so close to Samhain, I wanted to do something special for them. I always bury an apple and some bread at the base of a tree and I will still do that this year.

But for them, we're going to make one of their favorite dishes and set a place for each of them on our patio table. We'll also include a nice big pot of espresso. I'll arrange some seashells and beach stones on the table too (they're from Puerto Rico). And I'll keep a seven day candle burning. I wanted to put out a picture or something but it's been so rainy and windy...

Anyway I'm really excited about paying tribute to this amazing couple, especially his mother who I never met but who created some of the most awesome people I've ever met.

Rest in Peace Iris and Edwin Ramirez Sr!

Happy Beltane everyone!

PS: Another little pagan mom thing: Iris has started to pay attention when we bless the evening meal. She still doesn't want to hold my hand while I do it, but she smiles and soon enough she'll be saying, "Blessed be" Hee hee.

3 comments:

Acquafortis said...

Blessed Samhain to you too!
It is a very touching post. Thank you!

Dani said...

Thanks, it all went very well. I hope you had a great Samhain!

Lori said...

Very thoughtful and a wonderful way to pay homage : )